Nikon D4 users have been treated with a special surprise as a new firmware update has been released, in order to fix some minor quirks.
Nikon has released a new firmware update for the D4 DSLR camera. It is the last in a series of software updates pushed for this full frame DSLR camera, introduced last year at CES 2012 and released in February 2012 for the price of $5999.95. When it was launched, the D4 was the first Nikon camera in the world to support XQD memory cards.
Nikon D4 firmware update changelog
As this is only a minor update, Nikon D4 users cannot expect too many modifications. In fact, there is a single change available when compared to the previous firmware which was released in November 2012. The company announced that the new software was released to improve subject tracking performance in AF-C mode using the viewfinder.
A lot of Nikon D4 users have complained about the camera’s poor subject tracking performance in continuous-servo autofocus mode. The company has finally listened to its consumers, launching a new software that should enhance the performance in AF-C mode when framing with the device’s viewfinder.
Did not install other updates? No worries!
Nikon says that the A:1.04 / B:1.02 firmware update is available only for the D4 DSLR. If users have not installed the previous three updates, then they will be included in this package. The first major update was released in May 2012, followed by a second firmware in July 2012. The aforementioned two and the minor November 2012 firmware are included in the new upgrade.
How to install the new update
Nikon revealed that the new software can be installed with ease. However, if users have not performed a camera update in the past, then it would be better to head over to the nearest authorized Nikon service center.
- Download Nikon D4 A:1.04 / B:1.02 firmware update for Windows PCs or Mac OS X computers;
- Create a new folder on a computer.
- Copy the downloaded file in the folder and double-click on it to extract;
- A folder named D4Update with a .bin file will be the result of this action;
- Turn off Network connection in the Nikon D4;
- Format Nikon D4 memory card;
- Copy the .bin file from PC to the top level of the memory card. Make sure that it is not placed in any folder;
- Insert the memory card in the camera;
- Turn on the camera and open the menu;
- Select Firmware Version and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Do not turn the camera off until firmware update is complete.
More details about the firmware update are available at the Nikon USA official website.