Canon has released the firmware update 1.2.1 for the 5D Mark III DSLR camera, adding uncompressed HDMI output support and faster autofocus speed when using the Speedlite AF assist beam.
Canon has promised a substantial firmware update for the 5D Mark III a long time ago. However, the company admitted that the new version will be released in April 2013.
Canon 5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1 released for download with new features
Recently, it has been confirmed that the Canon 5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1 release date is April 30 and the company has decided to keep its promise. As a result, the new version is available for download right now.
The update’s changelog confirms that photographers will be able to output clean 1080p video through the HDMI port when using an external recorder, which is always a nice feature to have.
Another feature announced in fall 2012 consists of extending the aperture range to f/8 when using cross-type autofocus. Canon says that the center autofocus point can now focus when using a lens with an f/8 aperture.
Additionally, 5D Mark III users have complained about the slow autofocus speed when using Speedlite’s Assist Beam. Thankfully, the issues have been solved in the new firmware.
Canon 5D Mark III firmware version 1.2.1 is also packing a lot of bug fixes
The aforementioned changes are the most important, but this does not mean that Canon has ignored everything else. The firmware version 1.2.1 release notes are also full of bug fixes, which should improve the general performance of the camera as well as the user experience.
Canon 5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1 bug fixes:
- the LCD monitor no longer freezes or displays Err 70 / Err 80 when taking still photos in Live View or movie modes;
- the pause after capturing the sixth photo in multiple exposures mode when continuous shooting is ON has been fixed;
- the viewfinder no longer displays wrong information in Automatic Exposure Bracketing shooting mode;
- they fixed all the bugs which caused the camera to behave weirdly while using an Eye-Fi storage card;
- the focal length is now displayed properly in EXIF data when using the camera in combination with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM lens;
- all lens firmware updates will complete as intended from now on;
- the DSLR no longer changes the autofocus microadjustment to -8;
- the screen guidance is displayed properly even when the Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO is set to its highest value.
Canon 5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1 general improvements:
- multiple corrections made to the Arabic language;
- camera now communicates properly with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter;
- successfully sending files through the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter displays an “O”, while unsuccessfully doing so returns an “X”.
The Canon 5D Mark III firmware update 1.2.1 is available for download now on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X computers at the company’s official website.
Canon 5D Mark III (body-only) is available for purchase at Amazon for a price of $3,298.99.