Photokina is the world’s largest digital imaging event which takes place once every two years in Cologne, Germany. In order to find out what is coming at this year’s edition, we have compiled a guide detailing the rumors, the predictions, and the certainties surrounding this show.
The Photokina 2014 event begins on September 16. It will be the home to numerous new cameras, lenses, and other products related to the digital imaging industry for about one week.
Companies will have the chance to get a lot of exposure therefore they cannot afford to miss this trade fair. However, we are expecting most launches to take place a few weeks or days before the show in order to create some hype around the upcoming products, just like Sony has done with the A5100 mirrorless camera.
In anticipation of the event, we are recapping all the Photokina 2014 rumors and predictions regarding manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, and many others.
Please note that this article will be updated regularly with new information, so you might want to bookmark it so that you find out the latest details! [Last updated: October 02, 01:55 AM EDT]
(October 02, 01:55 AM EDT update): We have decided to sort this article a little better. The rumors that have turned out to be true are grouped together, just like the rumors that have failed to become a reality. Enjoy and stay close to Camyx!
Canon Photokina 2014 rumors
Canon is believed to make a splash this September. Earlier in 2014, sources have revealed that this will be the company’s “year of the lenses” and that the 7D replacement will be the biggest revolution in the DSLR market of recent times.
What Canon announced at Photokina 2014 and was rumored before:
- 7D Mark II: it will become the flagship APS-C DSLR, which could feature a multilayered sensor. The 7D can still be found at Amazon, but the camera has been discontinued. (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the camera is official;
- (August 25, 10:03 AM EDT update) 24mm pancake: a new 24mm lens with a pancake design and an aperture of f/2.8 is inbound; (August 29, 08:30 AM EDT update): the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens is definitely coming soon; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): this lens has been announced;
- (August 25, 10:03 AM EDT update) standard zoom: a mysterious optic of unknown aperture and focal length is on its way, too; (August 29, 08:30 AM EDT update): this model is rumored to be the EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and to become a kit lens for the 6D DSLR; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): this standard zoom lens has been revealed;
- (August 29, 08:30 AM EDT update) EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM: a new optic with Diffractive Optics technology, which will be announced very soon; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): this lens is official;
- PowerShot SX60 HS: this bridge camera should have been unveiled a long time ago, but the company has decided to wait until now to reveal this 100x optical zoom beast; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the bridge camera is official with 65x optical zoom;
- (August 25, 10:03 AM EDT update) PowerShot camera with 1-inch-type sensor: Canon is working on a Sony RX100 III competitor and it is coming at Photokina 2014. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): this camera will be called PowerShot G7X; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): this high-end compact is official;
- (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): PowerShot N2: this compact will replace the PowerShot N1. The camera has been unveiled.
Canon rumors before Photokina 2014 that failed to become a reality:
- the announcement of a medium format camera development. Such device has been rumored many times and Canon might confirm these plans at Photokina;
- Canon EOS M3: the mirrorless segment has not been kind to Canon, but the manufacturer is poised to launch a couple of EOS M3 cameras this fall;
- new EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens: this expensive lens has been on the market for some time now, so Canon will most likely confirm the development of a replacement soon;
- EF 11-24mm f/2.8L lens: photographers are demanding more wide-angle goodness from the company, so this model could be introduced soon;
- new EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS: sources have revealed that this lens has been ready for a long time. No more delays, it will be unveiled in early September;
- a trio of tilt-shift lenses: replacements for the TS-E 45mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/2.8 are on their way along with a tilt-shift macro optic;
- macro zoom: Canon could launch a macro zoom lens with a focal length ending at 200mm and a constant maximum aperture of f/4;
- EF 50mm f/1.2L II USM: although more recently it has been said that it is coming in 2015, it has a small chance of showing up at Photokina;
- PowerShot G17 and other compacts: the successor to the G16 was supposed to become official this May. However, it may actually come at Photokina along with some entry-level compacts;
- (August 25, 10:03 AM EDT update) new EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM: a replacement for this lens that will be offered as a kit along with the 7D Mark II DSLR;
- Speedlite 430EX II replacement: this flash has been around for many years and it is the right time to be replaced by a newer model.
Nikon Photokina 2014 rumors
Unlike Canon, Nikon is not expected to make a huge buzz at next month’s event. Still, the company has some very important announcements in the pipeline, such as a true heir to the FX-format D700.
Nikon rumors before Photokina 2014 that turned out to be true:
- D750: after years of complaints about the D800 series, Nikon fans will finally get the D700 successor they are looking for in the body of the D750; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): the DSLR will be announced on September 11 or 12; (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): the DSLR is now official;
- (September 5, 10:00 AM EDT update) AF-S 20mm f/1.8G lens: this wide-angle lens is coming on September 11 or 12; (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): the lens is official;
- SB-500 Speedlight Flash: the SB-400 flash has been discontinued and the SB-500 will take its place soon. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): the flash has been announced;
- (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): Coolpix S6900: this compact camera has become official for selfie fans.
Nikon rumors before Photokina 2014 that turned out to be false:
- D9300: as Canon will replace the 7D with the 7D Mark II, Nikon will substitute the D300s with the D9300;
- D7200: this is a longshot, but the company might choose to replace the D7100 with a newer, more powerful model;
- D2300: Canon’s ultra-compact Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D DSLR does not have a competitor, yet, and the D2300 has been mentioned briefly in the past, so we should not rule out a Photokina unveiling;
- medium format camera: another shy mention of a Nikon device. A new source has made this claim, so you should not hold your breath over such camera;
- Coolpix A replacement: the spring of 2013 has brought us a compact camera with a large APS-C sensor, called Coolpix A. Its heir is coming at Photokina;
- Coolpix P700 and P8000: these compacts should have been revealed earlier this year, but Nikon might have chosen to wait until this fall;
- Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED AF replacement: this lens has been marked as discontinued, so do not act surprised if a successor is on its way.
Sony Photokina 2014 rumors
Sony will have a huge presence at Photokina 2014. New interchangeable lens cameras, compact cameras, lens-like cameras, and many lenses are expected to be introduced by the PlayStation maker in the coming weeks.
What Sony was rumored to announce before Photokina 2014 and the products that have become official:
- A5100: this E-mount mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor is already official. It will be on-display at the event and you can learn everything about it here or you can get it at Amazon here.
- QX30: Sony has been praised for its ability to innovate with the QX-series of cameras that look like lenses and can be attached on mobile devices. The QX30 will be introduced with a 30x optical zoom lens soon; (September 5, 10:00 AM EDT update): this is now official;
- DSC-KW1: a compact camera that looks like a perfume bottle is definitely coming soon, as its photos and specs have already been leaked on the web; (August 22, 04:06 AM EDT update): it has been unveiled officially in China);
- (August 22, 04:06 AM EDT update) QX1 & QX1L: these two lens-shaped cameras have been registered in Russia. They could support the E-mount interchangeable lens system; (September 5, 10:00 AM EDT update): the QX1 is now official;
- Zeiss FE 16-35mm f/4: the development of this FE-mount lens has been confirmed earlier this year. An official launch event will take place soon; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the lens is official now;
- Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4: FE-mount camera owners are in desperate need of a wide-angle lens with bright aperture and autofocus support. Such model could be launched at Photokina; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the development of this product has been confirmed;
- FE G macro lens: this optic has been on the FE-mount roadmap for a while now. We are expecting Sony to reveal its specs in the coming days. (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update): sources say that this could be a 90mm Macro lens; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the development of the 90mm macro lens has been announced;
- Sony FE 28-135mm f/4 G OSS: another FE-mount optic confirmed by Sony in 2014 which will be properly introduced in the near future. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): the lens has been announced officially;
- (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update) FS100 and FS700 replacements: these two are professional camcorders and both will feature 4K video recording. They are here to take on Canon’s Cinema EOS line-up. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): Sony has unveiled the PXW-X200 and PXW-FS7 camcorders;
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the development of the FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS is official;
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the company has confirmed that a FE 28mm f/2 lens is in its plans.
Sony Photokina 2014 rumors that did not become a reality:
- A99II: the flagship full frame A-mount camera, called A99, will be replaced by the A99II;
- NEX-7 successor: this is a very risky bet, but a source has mentioned it, so it would be unwise to rule it out; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): the camera could be called NEX-9;
- medium format camera: Sony is the supplier of the 50-megapixel sensor found in the latest Phase One, Hasselblad, and Pentax MF cameras. The company could choose to make its own camera and its development could be announced this September;
- (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update) A7X: a full frame E-mount camera with a 50-megapixel image sensor;
- entry-level E-mount camera with full frame sensor: another FE-mount shooter with lower-end specs could join the already-released A7, A7S, and A7R;
- RX1s & RX2: there are many reports about these cameras. However, the former is the most likely to show up at Photokina 2014 and to feature a curved image sensor; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): a camera called RX2R will definitely be unveiled, but specs remain to be determined;
- black-and-white camera: the PlayStation maker may attempt to join some niche markets. The Leica M Monochrom needs some competition and Sony may provide one;
- Zeiss FE 85mm f/1.8: Sony will allegedly add this lens to the FE-mount roadmap in September;
- Zeiss FE manual lenses: the German-manufacturer has confirmed that a bunch of manual focus-only optics are coming at the world’s biggest digital imaging trade fair;
- Zeiss A-mount 135mm f/1.8 SSM: the development of this lens is set to be confirmed soon;
- A-mount 35mm f/1.4 G: a replacement for this lens is allegedly on the way;
- A-mount 24-105mm f/4 G: this optic could compete against the Sigma version and should be revealed along with the A99II;
- A-mount 70-200mm f/2: this model sounds very good on paper and it has a chance of showing up in mid-September;
- (August 22, 04:06 AM EDT update) A-mount 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G: it is more likely for this lens to be unveiled instead of the aforementioned 70-200mm f/2 version.
Olympus Photokina 2014 rumors
Micro Four Thirds adopters may be in for a treat at the most important show of the digital camera industry. Olympus is expected to launch plenty of exciting goodies during the event..
Olympus’ rumors for Photokina that became true:
- PEN E-PL7: the manual, the photos, the specs, the price, and the release date of this camera have already been leaked. It is coming by the end of August in anticipation of Photokina 2014; (August 28 01:47 PM update): the E-PL7 is now official;
- Silver OM-D E-M1: Olympus’ flagship Micro Four Thirds camera is available in black, but a silver model will be unveiled soon; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the Silver version of the E-M1 is official;
- OM-D E-M1 firmware update: this shooter is getting a firmware update, which might include 4K video recording. Both black and silver models are getting the firmware update; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the firmware has been confirmed, but it does not include 4K video support;
- 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens: its development has been confirmed, so we can expect this product to be officially launched at Photokina; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the lens has been introduced;
- black 12mm f/2 lens: the silver version has been around for some time now, so Olympus has decided to introduce a black version, too;
- 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO and 300mm f/4 PRO: Olympus has also announced the development of these optics in 2014, but more details should be revealed in the coming weeks; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the lenses have been on-display at Phototkina 2014.
Olympus rumors that have not become a reality at Photokina 2014:
- new OM-D camera: the company will introduce a new OM-D-series Micro Four Thirds camera. It is expected to replace the E-M5;
- OM-D full frame camera: this has been a shy rumor a long time ago. There is a huge question mark surrounding it, so do not hold your breath over it;
- TRIP-D: this could become the digital version of the TRIP 35 camera. However, gossip talks have cooled down in recent times, after intensifying earlier in 2014, so do not place all your money on this one;
- 9mm f/1.8 PRO: another optic which has been mentioned by the rumor mill multiple times. It could feature an f/2.8 aperture instead of f/1.8 and its development could become official soon.
Panasonic Photokina 2014 rumors
Moving further with the Micro Four Thirds format, Panasonic is believed to have some surprises in tow for its fans. All that is left is for these devices to materialize!
Rumor mill’s Photokina 2014 predictions for Panasonic that have become official:
- GM2 camera: Panasonic will replace the successful and compact GM1 with the GM2, which is supposed to be capable of recording 4K videos; (August 29, 08:30 AM EDT update): it appears that the camera will actually be called GM5 instead of GM2; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the Lumix GM5 is official with a viewfinder;
- Lumix LX8: one of the products which should have been released by now. However, the company has delayed its launch, so the LX7 replacement is coming sometime within the next few weeks; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the LX7 replacement is official and it is called LX100 (see below);
- compact camera with Micro Four Thirds sensor: this has been one of the most requested devices ever since the MFT came to be. Panasonic may finally deliver a compact with an MFT sensor at Photokina. (August 27, 12:34 PM EDT update): this camera could be called LX1000 and it could be one and the same with the LX8. (August 29, 08:30 AM EDT update): the camera is now said to be called LX100. The real name will be found out during the first week of September; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the camera is called LX100 and it also replaces the LX7;
- new 35-100mm lens: Panasonic is already selling a 35-100mm f/2.8 version, but a cheaper and slower version is in the works and it will be unveiled soon; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the product is now official;
- (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update) prime lens: an optic with a fixed focal length that is replacing a current model; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the 14mm f/2.5 II ASPH lens is official;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Lumix DMC-CM1: an Android smartphone with a 1-inch-type image sensor and a Leica f/2.8 lens has been revealed;
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): the company has confirmed the development of a 30mm f/2.8 macro lens.
Panasonic Photokina 2014 rumors that have not been accurate:
- 150mm f/2.8 lens: its development has been announced at Photokina 2012. Two years later, the optic is still not available. We can expect it to be introduced at this year’s event;
- (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update) superzoom camera: a compact (not a bridge-like model) shooter with a long zoom lens could be revealed at Photokina.
Fujifilm Photokina 2014 rumors
The X-Trans camera maker will have a very busy summer. Fujifilm will make some very interesting announcements in anticipation of Photokina 2014, which will include both cameras and lenses.
Here is what Fuji was rumored to announce this September and it became official:
- X30 compact: a shooter supposed to become official this summer. However, Fujifilm will wait until Photokina to introduce this camera; (August 26, 01:36 PM EDT update): the X30 is now official!;
- X100T compact: the replacement for the X100s has been in the works for a while now, but the camera will definitely be introduced in the near future; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): the device will be announced on September 10; (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update): the camera is now official!;
- XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR: this will become the second weathersealed lens of the X-mount and it should get a proper launch event at Photokina; (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update): the lens has been announced;
- XF 16mm f/1.4 R, XF 90mm f/2 R and super telephoto zoom: all three have made their way into the recently-updated roadmap and their development could be confirmed during the upcoming trade fair; (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): all these optics have been previewed at Photokina 2014, while the super telephoto zoom lens has been revealed as the XF 140-400mm f/4-5.6;
- (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update) X-mount telephoto lens with pleasing bokeh: Fuji will announce a telephoto lens that has a specific purpose: to provide extremely beautiful bokeh; (September 5, 10:00 AM EDT update): this is the XF 56mm f/1.2 R APD lens and will be unveiled at Photokina 2014. (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update): this superbokeh lens has been unveiled!;
- (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update) X-T1 Graphite Silver edition: this is a special version of the Black X-T1, which includes a 1/32000s electronic shutter mode, and it is official now!;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Instax Wide 300 instant film camera: a compact film camera with a 95mm f/14 lens is now official.
Fujifilm rumors that turned out to be inaccurate:
- X-Pro2: the flagship X-mount camera, called X-Pro1, will be replaced soon by the X-Pro2, although keep in mind that the device will be released on the market in early 2015;
- (September 9, 02:44 PM EDT update): XF 18-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR OIS: a weathersealed lens to replace the original model, which is not weathersealed;.
Ricoh and Pentax Photokina 2014 rumors
Ricoh has already made a couple of announcements, which means that some new Pentax-branded products will be available at Photokina.
Ricoh-Pentax booth rumors that became true:
- Q-S1 mirrorless: launched at the beginning of August, it is an affordable Q-mount camera;
- HD DA 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR lens: medium format camera owners will be glad that this wide-angle lens will be on display at the biggest digital imaging event in the world;
- K-S1 DSLR: a K-mount camera with a very weird design that includes some LEDs built into its grip. Photos and specs have been leaked, so this device is a certainty for the Photokina show; (August 28 01:47 PM update): the DSLR has been unveiled;
- (August 27, 08:45 AM EDT update) WG-M1: a rugged compact camera bearing the Ricoh brand. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): the action camera is now official;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) G800: one of the most rugged Ricoh cameras ever, as it is resistant to dust, water, shocks, and chemicals.
Sigma Photokina 2014 rumors
One of the most popular third-party lens manufacturers will not say “no” to the possibility of drawing attention at this event. We are not expecting any new cameras, but a bunch of lenses will surely be revealed.
Sigma’s rumored plans for Photokina that became real:
- (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update) 150-600mm f/3.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports and Contemporary: these lenses are now official;
- (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update) 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary: an all-round zoom lens unveiled for APS-C cameras;
- DP1 and DP3 Quattro: Sigma has launched its Quattro cameras earlier in 2014, but only the DP2 model has a price and a release date. Expect the DP1 and DP3 to have their availability details revealed. (September 12, 03:59 PM EDT update): only the DP1 Quattro has been launched, the DP3 Quattro will be revealed at a later date.
Sigma rumors that failed to become official:
- 14-24mm f/4 DG OS Art: this is a strong candidate and it will become a fine lens for full frame cameras;
- 85mm f/1.4 DG Art: the evolution of the “Art” series will include the introduction of an 85mm lens with an f/1.4 aperture;
- 24mm f/1.4 DG Art: another step in the rise of the “Art” line-up could not have skipped past a fast wide-angle prime;
- 300-600mm Sports: the “Art” series is not the only one getting attention, as the “Sports” one will get some love, too. A 300-600mm super telephoto zoom optic is on its way;
- 16-20mm f/2 Art: we have received mixed details about this optic. It could be aimed at either full frame or APS-C cameras, while the aperture and focal range could be different. Either way, expect a wide-angle zoom to be announced;
- 135mm f/2 Art: another uncertainty consists of the 105mm f/2.8 replacement. It should have the aforementioned aperture and focal length as well as macro capabilities;
- Micro Four Thirds: lots of current lenses, such as 30mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, and 50mm f/1.4, will be released in Micro Four Thirds mount at Photokina;
- X-mount support: Sigma might have reached a deal with Fujifilm in order to make some of its lenses compatible with X-mount cameras.
Samsung Photokina 2014 rumors
Although it is not the most prominent contributor to the digital camera market, Samsung is still making as well as selling cameras and lenses, so it will be interesting to see what it will bring to the table next month.
Samsung rumors that became true at Photokina:
- NX1: Samsung is planning a flagship NX-mount camera. Some of the NX1 specs have been leaked this summer and it seems like the company’s fans are in for a treat; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): the camera will be announced on September 15. (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): as predicted, this is an amazing mirrorless camera for professional photographers.
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): NX 50-150mm f/2.8 S: this lens has been unveiled and is aimed at professional photographers;
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): NX 300mm f/2.8 S ED OIS: the development of this product is now official.
Leica Photokina 2014 rumors
Everybody fears the day when the sleeping giant will awake. There is no doubt that Leica will join the Photokina 2014 party, as confirmed by one of the company’s officials, so let’s see if it rises up to the challenge.
Here are the Leica products rumored before Photokina 2014 and unveiled at the event:
- X Typ 113: a shooter that is rumored to feature built-in WiFi; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the camera is official, but does not have WiFi;
- D-Lux 6 successor: another camera that should have the internals of a Panasonic model; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the D-Lux Typ 109 has been unveiled;
- new S medium format camera: Leica will launch a medium format shooter with the same 50-megapixel CMOS sensor found in Phase One, Pentax, and Hasselblad shooters; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): new S Typ 007 is official with 37.5-megapixel CMOS sensor;
- Summicron-S 100mm f/2 lens: this optic has been leaked on the web and it is probably coming at Photokina; (update August 27, 08:45 AM EDT): this product is now official!;
- (August 22, 04:06 AM EDT update) M-P Typ 240: this digital rangefinder has been announced officially as a replacement for the M Typ 240;
- V-Lux Typ 114: this is probably a modified Panasonic compact camera; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the new V-Lux Typ 114 has been revealed;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) S-E: an entry-level S-medium format camera is official with the same sensor as the S Typ 007;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) M-A Typ 127: this is a brand new film rangefinder camera;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) X-E Typ 102: a new X-series camera unveiled at Photokina 2014;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) M Edition 60: an anniversary kit containing an M-P Typ 240 rangefinder camera without an LCD screen, but with a 35mm f/1.4 ASPH lens;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Summarit M 35mm f/2.4: this lens is official;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Summarit M 50mm f/2.4: another lens for M-mount cameras;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Summarit M 75mm f/2.4: a telephoto lens in a compact body for M-mount shooters;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Summarit M 90mm f/2.4: a new telephoto lens with high optical quality for M-mount cameras;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Noctilux M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH: an incredibly fast lens for Leica M-mount cameras;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Summilux M 35mm f/1.4 lens: a bright wide-angle optic for the M-mount system;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH: a wide-angle zoom lens for T-mount cameras;
- (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update) APO Vario-Elmar-T 55-135mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH: a telephoto zoom optic for T-mount shooters.
Leica rumors that proved to be false:
- M-E replacement: a new rangefinder will succeed the M-E. Its name could be M-S or M-E2;
- M Monochrom Typ 240: another camera that captures black-and-white photos;
- Summicron-M 35mm f/2 lens: an optic for Leica M-mount cameras;
- Summilux-M 28mm f/1.4 lens: a fast wide-angle optic that should not be a limited edition like an earlier version.
Samyang Photokina 2014 rumors
Another third-party lens manufacturer that will be present at Photokina 2014 is Samyang. The South Korean company is an established lens provider and it is expected to make several announcements at the world’s largest event.
The rumored products that Samyang brought at Photokina 2014:
- 50mm T1.5 AS UMC: the sought-after 50mm cine lens is now official and will be on-display at the show in Germany;
- (August 28 01:47 PM update) Rokinon 7.5mm f/8 RMC: this lens is designed for Nikon 1-series cameras and it is available for pre-order right now;
- (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update) wide-angle lens: the focal length and maximum aperture of this lens are unknown, but we do know that it is coming and that it is aimed at photographers, not videographers. (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update): the 12mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS fisheye lens has become official!
- (September 19, 01:55 PM EDT update): a photo version of the 50mm T1.5 AS UMC lens, called 50mm f/1.4 AS UMC, has been revealed.
Samyang rumors that did not become true:
- 85mm f/1.4 AE: another lens with electronic contacts for Canon DSLRs;
Zeiss Photokina 2014 rumors
Photokina 2014 is taking place in the home country of this legendary manufacturer. Zeiss will make a plethora of announcements at the digital imaging trade fair. Please note that most of them will be related to Sony’s camera systems, therefore we will NOT mention them again here.
Zeiss’ plans, excepting Sony lenses, for this year’s Photokina that became official:
- Otus 85mm f/1.4: the company has repeatedly said that the next Otus model is coming at this trade fair. It will be compatible with Canon and Nikon full frame DSLRs; (September 8, 12:35 PM EDT update): the lens is now official!;
- (August 26, 01:36 PM EDT update) Loxia: the Germany-based manufacturer will introduce a new series of lenses, called Loxia, for Sony E-mount full frame cameras. The 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/2 will be developed independently by Zeiss; (September 3, 10:18 AM EDT update): the Loxia family is now official!;
- (September 10, 03:44 PM EDT update) Distagon 35mm f/1.4: a lens aimed at Leica M-mount cameras; (September 16, 08:37 AM EDT update): the Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM lens has been revealed for Leica M-mount cameras.
We should mention that most of these products will probably become official before the start of the event. Manufacturers will want to independently launch their products in order to make sure that photographers will hear about them and to create some hype around the new cameras and lenses.
Lots of exciting products have been revealed around previous Photokina events, including in 2012, when the Canon 6D, Nikon D600, Sony A99, Panasonic GH3, and Fujifilm X-E1 were unveiled. This is why we are expecting to see even more amazing cameras being launched at this year’s edition.
As stated above, we are inviting you to keep a close eye on this page. It will be updated regularly with new information and we will provide the time and date of the last update.